Saturday, January 5, 2008

Treasured Memories


One of my favourite quilts is Treasured Memories. I started it for my husband in 1999 and completed it in 2003. It is a derivative quilt of the Jane Stickle Quilt in the Bennington Museum in Vermont. It has 169 different block designs, 52 triangles, and 4 corner kites. Jane made it during the American Civil War and she signed it and counted the number of pieces of fabric she used to make it. I used Brenda Papadakis' book to make this quilt, and found that it was an excellent teaching quilt, as a great variety of techniques can be used and combined when making these tiny 4 1/2 inch blocks. I learned to reverse applique and to foundation paper piece while working on these blocks, and made many friends around the world as shared tips online. The tiny blocks are very portable, and I carried them with me to work on while travelling, canoe camping, waiting for appointments, and visiting. My blocks are constructed using machine piecing, foundation paper piecing, hand applique, hand reverse applique, and hand piecing. I quilted it by hand. It is very heavily quilted, and the plain triangles feature a feathered quilting motif of my own design.

1 comment:

Sharyn Mallow Woerz said...

Believe it or not, I was just doing a search for Treasured Memories quilts and your blog was the second option google offered :-) A friend was asking me about photo quilts and I was doing a little research for her.
Hugs, KalamaQuilts