Tuesday, January 1, 2008

A fresh page......

Many wonderful and creative blogs and their authors have inspired me to take a first tentative step into a world that seems at once slightly intimidating, and yet enticing and mysterious. As January 1st presents the opportunity for new beginnings, I embrace this challenge, in celebration of becoming a quilting grandma.

My love of quilting was inherited from quilting grandmas on both sides of my family. I did not have the good fortune of meeting many of them, but at a recent quilt show, I was able to share examples made by five generations of stitchers in my mother's family.

My mother does not consider herself to be a quilter, but in keeping with Waterloo County tradition, she made tops for my three sisters and I, and had them hand quilted as wedding gifts. Mine was actually begun in the 1940's, prior to her own wedding, and patterned after a favourite quilt made by her mother. She set it aside carefully in her hope chest while becoming a farm wife, raising children, sewing clothing, gardening, canning, church and community service, and other interests and commitments occupied her time. When I became engaged in 1970, the project was retrieved and completed, and my husband and I were the fortunate recipients of a very beautiful and special quilt. Recently, Mom gave me the original tissue paper templates she had traced from Grandma's quilt and some fabric scraps she had saved.

One of my current ongoing projects is recreating a redwork quilt made by my paternal grandmother, and although not conclusively documented, we believe it to be her first quilt, begun as a young girl learning to stitch penny squares. This quilt currently resides in my cousin's home in Lancaster County, PA, but I have many memories of it gracing a guest bed in my grandfather's home. A few years ago, I traced all the blocks from the original quilt, and now I take squares along with me in my busy bag, to stitch on in odd moments. While growing up, a lovely 1940's Little Dutch Girl quilt, made by Grandma Olive's hands, kept me warm and cosy. In later years I have often taken it with me as a comfort from home when I had to be away from my family for a period of time. Dad often tells about playing under the quilting frame when the ladies came to help Grandma quilt. He takes an interest in my latest projects, and when he recently moved to a long term care residence, one of his first requests was for a wall hanging for his room. He also has a log cabin lap quilt which he uses in his recliner and on his bed.

In coming days and weeks, I hope to share photos and stories of heritage quilts, my completed quilts, new quilts and other projects in progress, and of course, grandma anecdotes.

1 comment:

Jule aus 9B said...

I cannot believe you OWN such a quilt, and made by your grandmother!!! I have only recently (this summer) started redworking, and I LOVE it. I bought this Redwork book and some of the designs on your quilt are in the book, e.g. the dog "Old Faithful" or the horse and cat motif, or the little girl feeding birds. I organized a swap recently (with an online group) and will be making a beautiful quilt (intended as a wallhanging) myself. Nine blocks are finished, and at least the same number I plan to add still. Visit me on my blog if you like, which by the way uses the same design as yours. ;) ;)

I would love to hear from you,
Juliane from Germany