Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Some of my Quilting Grandmas

Today I am sharing a treasured 1910 portrait of some of my quilting grandmas. I know that my Grandma Esther ( second from the right) was a quilter and Mom has some of her quilts. A favourite one is a pieced turkey red and cheddar mariner's compass on muslin.
We think that Great-Grandma (second from the left) may have made a wonderful indigo and cheddar appliqued and pieced baby quilt, which has been entrusted to me for safekeeping. It is made from hand-dyed fabrics, using Scherenschnitte, a German papercutting technique, and hand quilted with linen thread. Some crocking has occurred over the years, but it is still very beautiful in its simplicity. I hope to make a modern version of it for our grandson to use.
I will share photos of these two quilts in my next post.


No comments: